Branding Strategy Insider helps marketing oriented leaders and professionals like you build strong brands. BSI readers know, we regularly answer questions from marketers everywhere. Today we hear from Alisa, a Brand Planner in London, England who asks this on brand development…
“What are the key concepts driving brand development today?”
Thanks for your question Alisa. As marketers we know, a unique position and identity in the marketplace is required for brands to leverage and develop brand equity into new value or to command an orchestrated, sustainable, competitive advantage upon which to build reliable long-term success. As markets and cultures evolve, so too must the art of brand development. At this point in time there are ten rules to brand development:
1. Brand Planners now know they need to do inner work to develop a clear & compelling Brand Platform (this precedes advertising).
2. The Brand Platform is a codification of the positioning strategy, core values and purpose of the brand.
4. Over time new brand associations are uncovered and discovered then attached to the brands image through its storytelling prowess.
5. A Brand Mantra or Essence is identified (internally), to keep the brand focused and to inspire creativity around a common theme. But, the mantra is generally not the ad tagline. It’s a three word centering phrase that codifies the core values of the brand. Examples include; Nike: Authentic Athletic Performance, Starbucks: Rewarding Everyday Moments and Disney: Fun Family Entertainment
6. Investments are made in crafting the identity value of the brand. But, smart brands know there are distinctions between a simple identity, a charismatic persona and admirable character.
7. Brand Experience is crafted around some kind of ideal.
8. In all it does the brand demonstrates respect and regard for people, planet and profits. It strives to grow with integrity.
9. Authentic brands somehow connect with what it means to be human and with making the world a better place.
10. The strongest brands increasingly find ways to collaborate – they offer services that deliver seamless synergies, fitting nicely into consumer values, behaviors and lifestyles. More often than not there’s an App for that.
We hope this helps your brand development efforts Alisa. These core ideas and others can be found in my book Soulful Branding.
The Blake Project Can Help You Grow: The Brand Growth Strategy Workshop
Branding Strategy Insider is a service of The Blake Project: A strategic brand consultancy specializing in Brand Research, Brand Strategy, Brand Licensing and Brand Education